Table of Contents
What is atopic sentence?
A topic sentence is a sentence that introduces a paragraph by presenting the one topic that will be the focus of that paragraph. Just like the thesis statement gives the main idea of the paper at the essay level, the topic sentence gives the main idea at the paragraph level.
Where is topic sentence located?
Traditionally the topic sentence is the first sentence of the paragraph. In this lead position, it functions to introduce the examples or details which will explain the controlling idea.
How do you find the topic sentence in a paragraph?
Locating the topic sentence
- Read the first sentence carefully. Three times out of five, the topic sentence is the first sentence.
- Consider what basic property or characteristic the paragraph describes.
- Think about the paragraph’s purpose.
How do you use atopic in a sentence?
How to write a topic sentence
- Identify the main point in your piece of writing.
- Write a sentence that connects to your main idea with a what and a why.
- Use the sentence you created as an opening statement.
- Create the first sentence in each supporting paragraph.
- Use new information.
What is an example of a topic sentence?
Topic Sentence Examples Topic Sentence: There are many reasons why pollution in ABC Town is the worst in the world. The topic is “pollution in ABC Town is the worst in the world” and the controlling idea is “many reasons.”
What is another name for the topic sentence in a paragraph?
In expository writing, a topic sentence is a sentence that summarizes the main idea of a paragraph. It is usually the first sentence in a paragraph. Also known as a focus sentence, it encapsulates or organizes an entire paragraph.
What is an example of topic sentence?
What is the topic sentence in the first paragraph?
The topic sentence is usually the first sentence in a paragraph. It is introductory, meaning it should not include details, rather, it should introduce the main idea which will be supported by the rest of your paragraph.
What is a topic sentence and examples?
What is a topic example?
Topic Sentence: Dogs make wonderful pets because they help you to live longer. The topic is “dogs make wonderful pets” and the controlling idea is “because they help you to live longer.”
How can I start a sentence example?
Good ways to start a sentence
- The most common sentence pattern is to write the subject first, followed by the verb: Weeds are important too because birds eat the seeds.
- Reverse the sentence to begin with the dependent adverbial clause: Because birds eat the seeds, weeds are important too.
What is a topic sentence in an essay?
A topic sentence must highlight the main idea of a paragraph, letting the reader know what the paragraph will be about. The topic sentence must present an idea that will unify the rest of the paragraph while relating it back to the main thesis of the paper.