Table of Contents
- 1 How do you use antithesis in a sentence?
- 2 What is an antithesis in a sentence?
- 3 What is an example of antithesis?
- 4 What is the synonyms of antithesis?
- 5 What is antithesis in writing?
- 6 What is the difference between antithesis and oxymoron?
- 7 What is antithesis figure of speech?
- 8 What is antithesis and give example?
- 9 What does the name Antithesis mean?
- 10 What are some examples of antithesis in literature?
How do you use antithesis in a sentence?
the juxtaposition of contrasting words or ideas to give a feeling of balance.
- Slavery is the antithesis of freedom.
- She is slim and shy – the very antithesis of her sister.
- Love is the antithesis of selfishness.
- The company represented the antithesis of everything he admired.
What is an antithesis in a sentence?
Definition of Antithesis. the total opposite of an object or person. Examples of Antithesis in a sentence. 1. In the movie, Robert’s character of an abusive husband is the antithesis of the caring spouse the actor really is.
What is an example of antithesis?
These are examples of antithesis: “Man proposes, God disposes.” – Source unknown. “Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing.” – Goethe. “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” – Neil Armstrong.
How do you use antithesis?
To use antithesis to the greatest effect, follow these tips:
- Focus on contrast. Think of places in your writing that would benefit from comparing two contrasting ideas.
- Read it out loud. When working with a parallel structure, you want the rhythm of each piece to be as similar as possible.
- Use it sparingly.
What is the meaning of antithesis and examples?
1a : the direct opposite Her temperament is the very antithesis of mine. b(1) : the rhetorical contrast of ideas by means of parallel arrangements of words, clauses, or sentences (as in “action, not words” or “they promised freedom and provided slavery”)
What is the synonyms of antithesis?
What is another word for antithesis?
What is antithesis in writing?
What is the difference between antithesis and oxymoron?
An oxymoron is a phrase that uses two contradictory or opposing terms, while an antithesis is a device that presents two contrasting ideas in a sentence (but not in the same phrase).
What is a simple definition of antithesis?
What is antithesis and give examples?
The definition of antithesis is “a contrary or opposite opinion, concept, or characteristic.” So, the sun may be the antithesis to the moon, the devil may be the antithesis to God, and a conservative may be the antithesis to a liberal.
What is antithesis figure of speech?
Antithesis, (from Greek antitheton, “opposition”), a figure of speech in which irreconcilable opposites or strongly contrasting ideas are placed in sharp juxtaposition and sustained tension, as in the saying “Art is long, and Time is fleeting.”
What is antithesis and give example?
What does the name Antithesis mean?
Antithesis, which literally means “opposite,” is a rhetorical device in which two opposite ideas are put together in a sentence to achieve a contrasting effect. Antithesis emphasizes the idea of contrast by parallel structures of the contrasted phrases or clauses.
Is antithesis the same as oxymoron?
An oxymoron is a phrase that uses two contradictory or opposing terms, while an antithesis is a device that presents two contrasting ideas in a sentence (but not in the same phrase). An oxymoron is a figure of speech in which two contradictory or opposing ideas appear in the same phrase.
Which lines are the best example of antithesis?
Antithesis is a figure of speech that occurs in writing or speech whenever two opposit ideas are presented in a contrasting way. That said, the best examples of antithesis are the lines “Created half to rise, and half to fall; Great Lord of all things, yet a prey to all;” it is possible to identify the idea…
What are some examples of antithesis in literature?
The character of Snow White and the White witch from the novel ‘The Snow White’ shows the opposite traits of them.